October 17, 2008

Love


Marie Francesca Breda was only 5 years old when she died this week. She accidentally swallowed a bead. By the time they were able to remove it, her brain had suffered great oxygen loss. She lay in a coma for a week before Jesus came to take her home. My prayers had been requested and I prayed long and hard for this little girl whom I had never met. I prayed so much that I felt a connection with her. I loved her. I looked at her photos daily and read entries written by her family, friends, relatives and complete strangers. Somehow this little girl in the last week of her life brought thousands of people together to pray, to remember what is really important in life and to realize that our sole purpose in life is to love and to be loved.

I am not a mother yet, but God willing, I should be within a few months as I wait (impatiently) for my referral for a little girl. I recently read a story written by a mother who recently brought her adopted daughter home from Ethiopia. She hadn't fallen in love with her daughter yet. Entries by other blog followers told her she was doing fine, that the love would come. Quietly inside I disagreed. She anticipated this child, she knew about her and had seen photos before she went to pick her up. Why didn't she love her? Other stories she had written gave me an answer. This woman does not believe in God, so she never prayed for her daughter. Marie Breda proved to me that it is possible to love someone you haven't met yet. I have been praying for my future adopted daughter ever since I made the decision to adopt and I already love her so much that there is no doubt in my mind that that love will only continue to grow each day. Prayer is a powerful ally to have on your side.

Marie, may you rest in the peace of your Savior and may your family find peace in knowing you are now at peace.

1 comment:

Tania said...

Oh my gosh, I thought the same exact thing when I was reading that post. Unimaginable to me, as I love Sabah so much without even knowing her, and I KNOW that when I hold her for the first time, that love will only get stronger.

I too followed the story of little Marie and wept when I found out she had passed. In her passing she brought so many people closer to God, it is actually an amazing thing to witness, and I feel honored to have been able to follow her brief journey.