September 27, 2008

Conversation With Agency

I received an e-mail from Radu at my Agency yesterday and my heart just about stopped. Radu was just e-mailing me with the Fed Ex Charges, but the conversation went like this:

Me: My heart skipped a beat when I saw your e-mail because I thought maybe I had a referral. Hopefully soon. Have a nice weekend.

Radu: no sooner than 3-4 months.

Me: I know, but I turn 50 in 2 months and I'm afraid that is going to scare them. I've been praying for a miracle, and miracles do happen! I'm going to keep praying.

Radu: let's keep praying.

The poor guy probably gets several e-mails a day from PAP (Potential Adoptive Parents) just like me. He has to tell us that the wait time is 3 to 4 months because it could take that long and he doesn't want to get our hopes up. But the truth is, the longest anyone has had to wait (that I am aware of) is 6 weeks. So, I keep praying.

No news to tell you about my construction. Is is exactly where it was the last time I posted. I sent an e-mail to the President of the management company, and even she hasn't responded. They cannot figure out who monitors the fire alarm. And they are the ones that set that up. Amazing . . . I have been reading blogs of others adopting from Ethiopia and they have really exciting things on theirs like photos of the baby's rooms and cute little outfits, etc. So this shall serve as your warning - next post is going to have photos - and you know I can't show her room yet!

September 16, 2008

Waiting for a Referral

My agency tells me my dossier will be in Ethiopia in the next day or two. I've joined several on-line Yahoo Groups for potential adoptive parents of children in Ethiopia, one specific to my Agency. The families (who have received referrals already) tell me to prepare myself. One couple received a referral for infant twins 3 hours after their dossier arrived!!! One woman received hers the day after it landed in Ethiopia. The longest anyone currently waiting to travel from my Agency had to wait was a month. They are currently waiting for court dates. The courts have been closed for 2 months because of the Ethiopian New Year festivities currently taking place. They will re-open the first of October.

Now if I can just get my construction finished. I have signed a Covenant required by the Association. It holds me liable for damage directly resulting from my improvements as long as I'm the owner. The document is to be recorded and runs with ownership. The Board, the management company and their attorney are terrible communicators. I can't get anything out of them, nor can my contractor or attorney. I've signed the document and we've complied with all the other items requested in their letter. All we want to know is can we finish the construction. A simple yes or no would be awesome - but all we get is silence. I suppose I should enjoy the "quiet" while I have it, right?

September 8, 2008

Some Good News - Some Not So Good News

The good news is that my dossier is authenticated and on its way to Ethiopia!!!! I ask for prayers for a quick referral because I so want my baby home for Christmas.

The not-so-good news is that I am still battling with my Home Owner's Association regarding my addition. They still aren't talking to me. Supposedly they want me to sign something assuming all liability for the building (yes, the entire building, not just my home) going forward. It has been an entire month since any work has been done. I continue to eat on the floor as all my furniture is jammed into my office, spare bedroom and kitchen. I have no door on my bedroom and no blinds on the wall or windows. I've jammed pillows in between the studs to keep inquiring eyes from being able to see anything (not that anything is really worth seeing).

I've contacted my attorney and he will call the Association attorney tomorrow.

Stay tuned . . .