July 10, 2009

We're Finally Home

Janissa is napping and I finally have time to post some information and pictures. What a journey! It was amazing. I met my sister-in-law Kathy at LAX (she had flown there from Seattle) the evening of June 21. Our flight out was delayed, so we didn't leave until about midnight. We flew LAX to London and London to Dubai where we had a 12 hour layover. We hired a female, English speaking taxi driver to show us around and spent the afternoon in an air conditioned mall until we had to get back to the airport for our flight to Ethiopia.

DUBAI





























































































By the end of the day we were exhausted and probably dehydrated. We boarded the flight to Ethiopia and we both fell right to sleep. That was a good thing because I was getting so nervous about meeting my baby girl for the first time that I think I might have gotten sick.

The lawyer was at the airport to meet us with a driver and took us directly to the hotel. We had a room on the top (5th) floor - no elevator. All our luggage and orphanage donations made it to our room, thanks to several kind young men. It was late. We said hello to Meg and peeked at Sammy, took our showers and went to bed. I didn't sleep much. Throughout the night I remember roosters crowing, dogs barking and birds singing.

After breakfast the next morning our driver, Kitama, came to pick us up to take us to the orphanage. Kathy, Meg and Sammy D. accompanied me and Aster said she would meet us there.

TOUKOUL

















This time I was in the car driving through the blue gates!

















Nervously waiting to meet my daughter.

















Gotcha!

















She's such a doll.

















I just love her.















Back at our room playing with Sammy D.

More about the trip to be posted at a later date. Stay tuned!

11 comments:

rachel said...

mona, how great to read an update!!! can't wait to read more. SO HAPPPY you and janissa are finally together! and what a bonus that you got to spend time with Meg and Sammy, too!

Anonymous said...

MW -
She is absolutely precious! I love the pictures of you holding her for the first time. God did such a miracle in giving her to you. I can't wait to meet my niece.
ccwc

Cory, Lisa, and Weredesh said...

Weeee! I'm so thrilled for you! Hopefully you are getting some rest...

lisa

Kat said...

I got tears in my eyes Mona. What a beautiful blessing! Thank you so much for sharing with us...those blue gates look WONDERFUL, but your sweet girl looks even better:)!

Debbie said...

I'm so thrilled to see photos of Janissa in your arms and to know that you are home and beginning your life anew. She is a doll!

Colleen and JF Bertrand said...

Mona, she is a DOLL!! What a cutie! I cant wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

Véronique said...

I'm one of your anonymous French readers from several weeks, by chance.
Two years ago, I went to the Toukoul to meet my two beloved children : Aurélien Abebe and Ambre Kalkidan.
Your story is beautiful and I hope you and your magnific little girl will be happy for a very long tim together.
Good luck.
Véronique from France

Anonymous said...

Mona, she is a doll!! Well, she looks like she is through the tears in my eyes! I am so truly happy for you and am looking forward to meeting her in a few weeks!

Tania said...

I am so glad we got to meet you in Phoenix and spend some time with you and your beautifuly little peanut. Janissa is a doll and I can't wait to see her grow and thrive under your loving care.

Lisa said...

Welcome home Janissa and mama!

Christine said...

Wow... SO HAPPY to see pitures of you and Janissa together. Welcome home Mona. I look forward to many more pitures and storis!