June 14, 2009


This is the blue gate that leads into Toukoul Orphanage. In a few short days I will driving through those gates to meet my daughter for the first time. I have been anticipating that moment for months. I started the adoption process 16 months ago. I switched agencies when God led me to adopt in Ethiopia 12 months ago. That is when I saw those blue gates for the first time. In 7 days I will board the first of many planes and in 9 days I will be going through those gates. Finally!

I have dreamed of this moment and anticipated meeting Janissa for a long time. But she knows absolutely nothing. Yet in a little over a week she will be handed to a total stranger - who will probably burst into tears if she isn't already crying. How do you tell a one-year old that this is her mommy and that she is going to take you on a 30+ hour journey to a strange place you've never heard of? How do you convince a one-year old that despite the fact that everyone and everything around her is new, that she doesn't need to be scared because she will be loved beyond measure?






This is where Janissa has lived most of her little life. She will soon leave through the blue gate in my arms, never to return - at least not for a long time. As time goes by, she will forget the sounds, the smells, the sites, the nannies who took care of her, her crib mates - but I won't.

As I count down these last few days I am feeling the nerves for the first time. I pray that the life that I will provide her will overshadow the losses she might one day feel as an adopted child in a country so far from her own. I pray that my love for her might come close to the love her birth mother had for her. A love so strong that she was willing to walk away from her so that she might have opportunities that she wouldn't have otherwise.

I'm coming to get you, Janissa. Next week you will be in your Mama's arms.

7 comments:

rachel said...

mona, what a beautiful, well-written post! thank you!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful words! I am so happy for you and the amazing journey you are about to embark on! I will be thinking about you while you are away!

Sam's mom said...

Enat, ah wed da hallow. Konjo Janissa! (note: phonetically spelled.)
LOVE is an internationally understood language Mona. She will know immediately that you are the woman who will love her all of her life. That you will always be there for her. That you are Enat, momma.
I'll be holding the video camera to make sure none of those first moments are lost (believe me, your sister will be crying just as much as you will be.)

Joy said...

Mona, Mona - my stomach was flip flopping as I read that and saw those pictures again. I am just bursting with emotions for you. You are so close. Try to rest on the plane (take unisom or whatever you need to- that is coming from a "no drugs" person) I felt so tired and wobbly and my brain was so fuzzy from not sleeping on the plane and going straight to Toukoul - still amazing, just wished I could have been "all there" :). Sending much love!

Kat said...

You are a blessed mommy and Janissa is a blessed baby!!!! I've been through adopting a beautiful one year old twice and you will do wonderfully...trust your instincts. Big hugs and prayers for your travel!
Having a Blast in Christ,
Kat

Tania said...

Beautiful Post Mona. I can't wait to hear all about your trip, and I especially can't wait to meet you and Janissa the SECOND you get off that plane. We will be waiting with open arms to give you and your little Janissa the biggest welcome home hug. I'll be thinking about you the entire time you are in ET. You're in the final stretch and I am more than overjoyed for you my friend.

Amber said...

I can;t wait for you to come home and tell me all about your trip...hugs!